Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sweet Tender Childhood


Last night was one of the sweetest nights with my babies! It all started with a not so sweet evening though.
After dinner both Diana and Ellie started just getting totally fussy and difficult. Hubby and I could not figure out what was wrong with them… we came to the conclusion it was just end of the day crankies. Anyway, after we had put them to bed we went to bed ourselves. Hubby fell asleep pretty quick but I was up for awhile (just reading and doing some chores) and both babies were still up at this time, which is odd because normally they are pretty good about bedtime.

So I went into the nursery to check on them to see if there was anything wrong. Nope, everything looked good! So, I gave them both a kiss and walked out. But boy, did that make them both mad! After hearing them both scream / cry for awhile I went back to see what I could do. Didi was on the urge of sleeping but Ellie was getting more and more upset by the second! So I got her up and took her to the living room. Clean diaper, she wouldn’t nurse, she didn’t need burped, and nothing else seemed to make her feel better. Finally, I just decided she needed some loving.

I swaddled her up super tight, turned off all the lights and turned off everything that made noise. I held her super close to me and just gently whispered how much mommy, daddy, and Jesus love her. She calmed down ever so slowly, finally falling asleep in my arms. It was so sweet and just melted my heart. I just held her for a little while examining every little perfect feature before taking her back to the nursery and putting her into the crib. I set her down then saw Diana in her crib holding her bunny rabbit just staring at me.

“Do you want some cuddle time too Didi?” I asked while I walked over to her. I though she would totally resist me when I tried to pick her up, but to my surprise not only did she let me pick her up, she melted right into my arms! She almost NEVER likes to cuddle. But this time she just let me hold her! I was so happy! She laid there with her head just gently resting on my shoulder. I just stroked her hair and prayed with her. I thanked God for my beautiful little family and thought about how much I love them. I gently swayed back and forth while holding Diana and she too, just fell asleep in my arms. I gently lay her back down and said another prayer of thanks before going back to bed myself. I am so blessed!!!!

Babies just need extra cuddle time sometimes!!! They seemed so overly tired. I guess it kinda surprised me. I’m always afraid I’m not spending enough time with them and giving them each enough attention. I also have a tendency to think that just because we are not out “doing things” and not going out on play dates all the time that they get bored at home. I spend so much time trying to teach things and play with Diana and hold and play with Ellie that I forget about quite time sometimes. I mean, we do have quite time and naptime of course. But just about every minute they are up I feel guilty that my attention is divided so I try to give extra, EXTRA attention almost every chance I get. Last night just kind of let me know that just because we are not out all the time and that even though my attention is divided, doesn’t mean that there isn’t enough going on. I can take a break every once in a while from “learning” and “playing” time and just relax a bit. Just because we’re at home the majority of the time doesn’t mean were not doing enough. The day doesn’t always need to be filled with “learning.” Some days you just need to cuddle and hold your babies. Just As long as they are fed and clean sometimes the only other thing they need is plenty of hugs and cuddles!

No comments: